Approximately two weeks before the start of school a letter of notification will be mailed to each
family who has a student eligible to receive bus transportation. This letter will indicate the bus
number, bus stop location, and the approximate pick-up and drop-off times. In addition, a copy of
the expectations for student behavior will be included. It is imperative to remind parents that your
children’s safety is the most important concern of the Lafayette School Corporation Transportation
Department. You can help us with this by reminding your child of the following expectations:
1. Students are always to observe classroom conduct while on the school bus.
2. Students should always co-operate with the bus driver and obey the driver’s instructions
promptly and respectfully.
3. Students should walk safely to and from the bus stop. Walk facing oncoming traffic when
there are no sidewalks. Cross in front of the bus when signaled by the driver. Walk 10 steps
in front of the bus before crossing to and from the bus stop.
4. STUDENTS SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO RETRIEVE PAPERS OR ARTICLES WHICH ARE NEAR
OR UNDER THE BUS!!
5. Students should be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes before the assigned pick up time.
Wait at least 10 feet from the roadway.
6. Students should never attempt to enter or leave the bus until it comes to a complete stop.
The driver will signal students when to load or unload.
7. Students should sit in their assigned seats as promptly as possible and are not to block the
aisles. Students are not to stand or move from seat to seat while being transported.
8. Electronic communication devices (cell phone, pager, etc.) and all other electronic devices
MUST be turned off and placed out of sight while on the school bus.
9. All students, especially younger children, should know their first and last names, address, and
where their bus stop is located. If they have not memorized this information, they should have
it in writing on their person or in their backpack.
Should you have any questions about transporting your child, do not hesitate to contact the
Transportation Office at 771-6059 for assistance.